For the last decade the right has chipped away at abortion access by making it more expensive, closing clinics, increasing waiting periods and decreasing gestational limits. But for 2019 Arizona abortion opponents are literally enacting a “death by a thousand paper cuts” agenda against legal abortion through their new paperwork and reporting requirements for doctors performing abortions. None of them are medically necessary, not a single question will provide any benefit to public health, and each one will dramatically raise the amount of resources a clinic uses per patient.
Surgical Abortion 5 weeks up to 23.6 weeks
A surgical abortion is a simple, safe abortion procedure.
Before Your Surgical Abortion Visit
- The day before your surgery appointment: Hydrate, drink plenty of fluids and water.
- Please take any prescription medication at the usual times.
- Your Surgical Abortion Visit
- The day of your surgery appointment: Do not eat anything for 6 hours before your appointment. You may have clear liquids (water, black coffee/tea, or soda) until 2 hours before your appointment time.
- Wear underwear (No Thong Style) that supports a pad and have pads at home.
- Wear LOOSE SHORTS, PAJAMA PANTS or a DRESS ONLY. NO Yoga pants, NO leggings, NO tights, NO skinny jeans.
- Plan to be in the office for approximately 2-4 hours if you are under 12 weeks.
- If you are between 12 and 17weeks, it is a one-day procedure, you will be in the office approximately 4 – 8 hours.
- After 17weeks, you will probably need 2 visits to the office that will be approximately 2 hours for the first and 4-6 hours for the second visit.
- You MUST have a driver take you home. Your driver MUST be with you when you check in and present a valid driver’s license at check-in.
- All abortion fees for care must be paid IN FULL, prior to care being rendered. Payments can be made in person the day of your procedure, or here on our website. https://www.camelbackfamilyplanning.com/pay-now/
- We accept Cash, Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover. Card-holder must be present with a government-issued photo ID and signature authorization matching the credit card.
- If you cancel, no show or reschedule with less than a 24-hour notice, we may require a non-refundable deposit of $100.00 to reschedule.
- You will be asked to complete medical forms and read through information about your procedure. Then, your history will be reviewed privately. You will also learn about the procedure and birth control options for after the abortion. Any further questions or concerns you have before the procedure will be discussed.
The Surgical Abortion Procedure
The abortion takes only a few minutes and is a simple, safe procedure.
A female Registered Nurse will be by your side during the entire procedure.
The Nurse will start an IV and, once the Doctor is in the room, intravenous sedation will be given. The Doctor will then begin the procedure only after the sedation takes effect, which is within 1-3 minutes. The cervix (the entrance to the uterus) is dilated to about the diameter of a drinking straw. The doctor inserts a small tube, or cannula, which is attached to an aspirator machine. The mild suction action of the machine empties the contents of the uterus. You might have mild cramps during the procedure. Many patients do not remember the procedure and have no cramps at all.
After the procedure, you will be observed in a semi-private, cozy recovery room in a comfortable recliner with a heating pad. Our nurses will make sure that your blood pressure and heart rate are normal, and that bleeding and discomfort are within normal limits. You can then have something to drink and something to eat. All post-operative medications will be given to you as well as written instructions. Birth control is usually started the Sunday after your abortion.
- Most women can return to daily activities the following day.
- Avoid strenuous activity for a few days to prevent unnecessary pain or bleeding. Most women experience some spotting or bleeding that may last only a few days or as long as 8 weeks.
- To prevent infection, we recommend not to put anything in the vagina (tampons, sex, douching) for one week. Dr. Goodrick is available 24 hours a day for URGENT medical calls. You can always reach us with a routine question or concern during normal office hours.
- When you start having sex again, use birth control and use condoms to prevent infection. Talk with your healthcare provider about birth control methods that fit your lifestyle.
- Pregnancy hormones can remain in your body for up to 8 weeks after the procedure. This will delay ovulation and menstruation.
- Pregnancy hormones decline rapidly after an abortion but don’t completely diminish to normal levels right away. It can take up to 8 weeks for the pregnancy hormones (hCG levels) in the body to fall below the levels detected by a pregnancy test. If you take a pregnancy test within that time frame, you’re likely to test positive whether you are still pregnant or not.
Abortion is considered one of the safest surgical procedures when performed by a skilled physician. Dr. Goodrick has provided abortions for over 25+ years and her goal is to provide the best medical care to protect your future fertility. Go to Frequently Asked Questions for more information.
Please feel free to call our office at any time if you have any questions regarding your care. You will have an opportunity to ask the medical staff any additional questions on the day of your procedure.